I was personally rather dissatisfied with how our last presentation turned out, granted we didn’t spend enough time on it, due to me being plagued with serious migrane on the day before, when we met to work on the presentation. So this time we decided to start working on it a lot sooner, so we met after our Group Mentoring Specializations on Wednesday, January 27th.
The first piece of the presentation was a document by Anna, who had written down some of the most important things that need to be in the presentation. We then had the idea to “put the presentation in the game”, which at that point was limited to simply making slides, and showing them in the prototype while walking past it and talking about it, much like a normal presentation would be.
After we didn’t get to work on the presentation as much as we planned to on wednesday, because we prioritized the prototype, Patrick started working on the presentation after we went home, orienting himself on Anna’s document.
I spent most of my working time on Friday intending finishing up the Mentos-ColaLake puzzle, and make it easy for Patrick to implement in his project files. During this time Patrick worked hard on making the presentation as cool as possible, quickly moving away from the “show slides next to another” to the experience that it eventually turned out to be. We gave him feedback whenever a question came up, like how the artists want their assets to be placed, or how he should word some things, but didn’t really get to see what the whole thing looked like until the day after. While the rest of us went to bed between 1am and 2am, Patrick had worked through half the night, uploading the project files for the presentation at 5am!
On Saturday, the first thing I did when I saw the project files was simply starting the “game” and walk through the presentation. You can imagine my surprise when there was suddenly no floor, and Pan kept falling “deeper and deeper and deeper…”! I was extremely impressed with the work Patrick had done, so of course the first thing I did was nitpicking ! I went through the presentation a few times and noted down everything that I felt could be improved, and how I would do it. I also read the syllabus a few times, to make sure we include all the important things. We had a lengthy skype conversation we anna also went over the presentation, to add her feedback to mine.
While Patrick was working away on implementing the changes (it was past midnight by then), I had to work on the ColaLake-Mentos level again, because the way I did it before didn’t quite work out, the platforms were to small, or the lake to wide, so I had to add a third platform, and redo the animation for the second one. I finished that up until 3am, and tried implementing it in the project I got from Patrick and it worked as intended (with minor issues).
Sunday was long for me!
Patrick and Caterina started chatting at 12am, I joined a bit later and Anna as well, and we continued optimizing the presentation.
We were still missing something for the “reflection on development process including a detailed project plan”, as we weren’t entirely sure how we should best convey it all. Eventually we decided to use the Project Plan as a timeline to show what happened.
First I went through all of our chat histories (Skype and Whatsapp) and added mot important dates to the project plan, writing them below the timeline, so one can quickly see what the plan was, and what actually happened. I realized that it was incredibly bland to look at, so I decided to remove some more of the less important dates, color coded everything (production, design, art, programming) and made the more important dates even more visible. I finished up with the Plan at half past midnight.
|Versions 1, 2 and 3 of the Project Plan
After taking a small break, I wrote a script (performance) for how we could do the presentation. For this I once again walked through the presentation a few times, and wrote down what exactly I would say, paying close attention to how long each part would take me to say. Along the way I noticed a few more things I’d like to change, and those were implemented the day after. I was done with this script at 4:30am, quickly uploaded it to our dropbox and fell right into bed.
The script I wrote for the presentation, we mostly stuck to that!
Monday – Presentation Day!
We had decided to meet at 10:30am on Monday morning, to put the finishing touches on the project files/presentation, decided who said what, and make sure the timing works out as planned. Anna wasn’t quite happy with the gameplay portion of the script I wrote, so she changed it to point out some more things that I missed. She also wrote down things the artists could mention about their process, as I as a non-artist couldn’t think of anything.
Caterina was also fighting, as she had to deal with a terrible migraine, but she managed to still do the presentation without a problem!
I was very happy with how our presentation turned out, and the feedback we got was mostly positive too!
However we made one major mistake, which is the part of the gameplay we showed. We just started at the beginning and showed how it all looked in-game, and since the beginning of the game is rather unexciting, it didn’t make as much of an impact, and didn’t show as much of the game that it could have! Instead we should have shown the ColaLake puzzle, even if that meant skipping most of the level before.
We also received good feedback for the game, most notably that the environment feels “dead”. We hadn’t noticed that ourselves, but I knew what was meant by that, there is not much movement in the background, almost everything is static. We’ll work on that after wednesday, until the 19th.