The Sonic City Map is a small sonic experience we did in a day. The player can move around a small part of a city and switch between modern and Victorian times to experience the changing soundscape.
This game was created for our Sound Design Task. Armand had the original idea which I joined in on, and Patrick made the unity prototype. I only adjusted some scripts for more varied audio file playback, and I did the sound design for the street performer (top left corner) and the market (bottom right corner) locations.
You can download the Game HERE.
Feb 19 – March 31
For the first time, I worked as a programmer on a professional game, which was released on steam. It was a very important experience for me. Continue reading “Hanse – The Hanseatic League (Linked Dimensions)”
Warriors and Serfs is a 3D real-time city-building / strategy game for PC with a focus on building a settlement with a functioning economy, set in the medieval era.
Warriors and Serfs puts you in the place of a Count in the medieval times. Your king has given you the task to build a new settlement and defeat his enemies, so you set out with a few loyal servants and materials to do as he commands.
Warriors and Serfs allows you to gather a multitude of different resources and refine them into food, building materials and weapons.
Every item exists physically and can be transported by your ever-diligent Serfs to construction sites, the weapon smiths, or the warehouse. Therefore the placement of your buildings is a major factor in the effectiveness of your economy.
Combat was planned, but not implemented into the game, instead the goal is to accumulate enough resources to construct the Palace Building.
I made this game during my fifth semester at Cologne Game Lab, as part of the Exchange & Practice Semester. We had pretty much complete freedom of choice on what we would do for this Project, so I chose to make a game I had been wanting to make for the previous year or so, but knew I didn’t have enough time to really work on it otherwise.
During this project I learned how to use Unreal Engine, and I used Behavior Trees for the first time. I wrote the system for delivering items in C++. I made a (dynamic) tutorial for the first time, which proved quite successful, judging from the final exhibition of the game!
You can read the Dev Blog HERE!
You can download the latest version of the game HERE!
Feb 05 – FEB 16
It was the final sprint. The final presentation was past, and in the remaining two weeks until the delivery date, I focused on fixing the most crucial bugs, and improve the UX a bit more.
Continue reading “The Delivery Update (Weeks 19&20)”
JAN 22 – Feb 04
In this first week, I completed the tutorial, preliminarily. I also introduced “lootboxes”, which produced a funny bug. Besides that, I tinkered around with UI / UX and tooltips. I went to the GGJ the weekend inbetween, and didn’t get a lot of sleep, on top of that I caught a cold. I did however get some playtesting for my new tutorial, which proved very successful! During the second week i implemented a few things based on that feedback, and some older things from my todo list. I also spent a good amount of time on the Final Presentation, which I held on Friday. Finally, I thought about the future of the game.
Continue reading “The Lootbox :^] Update (Weeks 17&18)”
2018 Jan 08 – 2018 JAN 21
I spent most of the first week preparing for the playtest session on Friday 12th.
The playtesting showed me major flaws in aspects of the game, so I decided to forgo multiplayer entirely, in favor of polishing the singleplayer experience. At least until the final delivery date in February. Also, I worked 81 hours on the game total these two weeks, finally reaching the 40hr/week mark I wanted to for so long!
Continue reading “The Learning Update (Weeks 15&16)”
2017 DEC 25 – 2018 Jan 07
The multiplayer I had achieved at the end of week 12 could be called “Co-op”, all players in the game controlled the same buildings and subjects. Week 13 was spent turning that into opposing players. The following week I decided to add some polish to the game, so I added some menu stuff and I finally introduced sound.
Continue reading “The Loud Update (Weeks 13&14)”
Dec 11 – DEC 24
As was my plan, I spent these two weeks diving into multiplayer. Although I’d had many challenges along the way, and was about to give up on at least three occasions, I managed to pull through, and fully implemented multiplayer by the end of this phase.
Continue reading “The Multiplayer Update (Weeks 11&12)”
Nov 27 – Dec 10
The first Review meeting was up on Dec 8th, so I finally spent a bit of time improving the visuals of the game, and doing some quality of life improvements.
Continue reading “The Pretty Update (Weeks 9&10)”
Nov 13 – Nov 26
Not much happened in the first week of this phase, but the second week had been my most productive at that point! I properly implemented subject hunger and death. I improved the serf behaviour a lot and implemented the Harvester and Crafter type subjects and behaviour, specifically the Lumberjack and Carpenter. I also attempted to use source control for the project…
Continue reading “Implementing the Workforce! (Weeks 7&8)”