Multiplayer and Intermediate Presentation (Week 6)

Jan. 6 – Jan. 13

Multiplayer

Now that I started really working on the App, it was time to look into how I could implement multiplayer. On Sunday I started researching different ways of how I could do multiplayer in Unity. The best options were Photon and Unity’s own networking services. I eventually decided to use Unity’s service, because it seemed easy to implement and Unity provided a matchmaking service for up to 20 concurrent users, which would be enough for our prototype phase. I spent the rest of the day working with the Unity tutorial on Networking. Annoyingly, the tutorial didn’t go as far as I needed it to. I didn’t explain the Unity Services part of multiplayer networking, which is necessary to take the game from LAN-only to internet multiplayer. So I had to play around with that for a while to get it work, and bother some of my friends to test if I could match them until I could get it to work. I met with Markus the day after to ask for his opinion on my approach, and he didn’t have any objections, so I went ahead with it. Also I tested the tutorial game on android, to verify that networking works the same, as Unity claimed.

Motivation

Motivating myself was always rather difficult for me at the start of a new project, and there was really not trick to it. I had been training my willpower, and slowly but surely I could motivate myself better.

This is the trick. There is no trick.
It’s silly but he’s right.

Progress

After doing a lot of research and setting up some of the basics for multiplayer, I started implementing bits of the interactive parts of the game. Until the end of the week I made responsible scripts and classes for drawing cards from the deck and adding them to the hand, dragging cards from the hand to play them, placing structures on the board and some more.

 

Intermediate Presentation

Our intermediate presentation was on January 11, so on our weekly meeting on Monday 9, we started working on the presentation. We outlined what we wanted to talk about in a googledoc presentation file. Sarah then took that and made the slides in some other program to make them look good. Everyone told her what they wanted on their slides, but I really had no idea what to talk about, however Sarah solved that very gracefully:

01100010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01100101 01100011 01101111 01101110 01100100 00100000 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100111 01110101 01100001 01100111 01100101
Luckily no one fell asleep on this slide, until Dimitry asked a coding question…

The presentation went very well in my opinion, the Profs commented on some things like the huge scope we were planning for, but we had a good answer for everything (we had already cut down the scope a huge amount for the prototype).

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.