Rescue Tactics (previously Force of Nature) is an educational game about natural disasters.
The player takes on the role of a local first responder in the event of a natural disaster. They need to navigate a city full of hazards retrieve a citizen in danger, and get them to safety.
I was the main programmer during this project. I setup the project and prototyped the two gamemodes. During the project I still did most of the programming work, including everything relating to the levels (except sound). I also guided the Dmitry in his work, as it was his first time using Unreal.
Since the game needed to be in german and in english, I also handled the technical aspect of localization.
This video shows off pretty much all of the content and features of the game.
Download the game HERE.
You can read more about the development Process HERE.
The Game was published on the University of Cologne’s Website for Geography didactics, see HERE.
We got some useful feedback from the playtest, although it was mostly things we knew. This sprint had two endings really, the Final Presentation on Monday the 23rd, and the Exhibition Day on the 25th. We had to do some heavy prioritisation in order to get the stuff we wanted to show done by Monday, and the things we wanted to make them feel done by Wednesday. I totaled 53,5 work hours from July 19 to noon on July 25, excluding the Presentation, with 48 Tickets on HackNPlan. Continue reading “Final Sprint and Exhibition (Week 7)”
We had, thanks to Emmanuel, found a group of students to playtest with, and the date was set to be July 18th, the day of our next sprint meeting, late afternoon. So we decided to focus on playability for this week. We also decided to hold a game jamming session on the day of the next sprint meeting. For that reason I’ll include all of the 18th in this post. Continue reading “Polish for the Playtest (Week 6)”
The Intermediate Presentation was due on Tuesday afternoon, so we really only had around three and a half workdays for this sprint. We focused on implementing assets and doing visual polish to show something attractive. Continue reading “Polish for the Presentation (Week 4)”
We decided to set our sprints from Wednesdays to Wednesdays, so on the 20th we held our first proper sprint meeting. We reviewed the previous week, made major game design decisions together, and planned the next sprint. Continue reading “Upgrading the Disaster Quiz (Week 3)”
We had a basic game design ready. There were also a few tasks that had to be done either way, like the menus and localization. So I got into the engine and began programming the basic layout of the game.
Emmanuel got especially creative for this semester’s project phase. Instead of receiving a topic to brainstorm ideas with, we were presented with students from the Uni Köln who had done the brainstorming, and now we had to decide which of them to join.